Skip to content

Firefox 4 / Multiple Plugin Containers

-migrated-

7 posts

Firefox 4 / Multiple Plugin Containers

Posted Apr 1, 2011 1:21 pm

Hey all,

I just started noticing that since upgrading to firefox 4, I'm seeing two plugin container processes.  Only one of them seems to be the correct one for mucking with flash games.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to tell the difference at this point aside from trial and error.  I think the one with the lower PID might
be the correct one, but I'm not sure yet.

Anyone else seeing this?  It's happening both on my work PC running XP and my home PC running Win 7.

Re: Firefox 4 / Multiple Plugin Containers

Posted Apr 1, 2011 4:39 pm

I think its a virus man. because I have the same thing, but not all the time and I use 3.6. been that way a few weeks now.

I use this AoB tool to make all the AoBs I post. Try the online version if you dont feel like downloading it.
"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. They are so important that they named the operating system after them. But what is a window?"

Re: Firefox 4 / Multiple Plugin Containers

Posted Apr 1, 2011 5:23 pm

@zhaoli If firefox is the process creating plugin-container.exe, the container's PID will prolly be next to the firefox's pid. And I'm afraid I can't be of further help as I've never experienced this

Re: Firefox 4 / Multiple Plugin Containers

Posted Apr 15, 2011 12:11 pm

I've experienced this too.

I've firefox with PID 4524 and 2 plugin-container's with PIDs 4964 and 4976. Both are created by firefox cause the parent PID is 4524.

I don't know why has 2 plugin-container's. But one uses a firefox plugin (npdeployJava1.dll) and other uses the macromedia plugin (NPSWF32.dll). I've 2 different pages with flash... one is the game in armor games and other is just an ad in one site.
I identified them killing the process and observing what flash has been killed.

Both have same clsid: clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000  and clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000

Can be one is about java and other is about macromed flash... but it's strange... cause i killed the suposed java and the ad has been shutted down.

So... I dont know why has 2 different process (broken image removed)... I just know than I have to use the one with SysWOS64MacromedFlashNPSWF32.dll...

PS: I'm on a Win7 64

Re: Firefox 4 / Multiple Plugin Containers

Posted Apr 20, 2011 9:27 pm

Win 7 64 here as well.  I've generally found that if I pull up my task monitor, only the plugin container that's holding the game I'm playing has any significant CPU/Memory usage, and I can end the other one or two.