Skip to content
Locked [Information]

HTTPS, huh, yeah, what is it good for?

Keepin your ass protected. More info inside.

6 posts

HTTPS, huh, yeah, what is it good for?

Posted Aug 18, 2014 4:21 am

If you haven't noticed, the chat has been having some issues.  I just got an SSL cert installed and configured for the chat, so we should be good to go there.

Recently, I upgraded our site to run entirely under HTTPS.  Google was docking sites a minimum of 1% off all rankings based on sites not forcing HTTPS.  Now that we are, our rankings should go up.  Higher rankings = more users. :)

Anyway, the site and the chat are on different servers.   When the site upgraded to HTTPS, I had to upgrade the chat server as well.  Unfortunately there were a few delays, but we managed to work through them, so things should be back to normal soon.  If you're using the client, make sure to switch to "chat.gcworldind.com" instead of "chat.konghack.com.  Your username will still be @chat.konghack.com.  


Everything's coming up KongHack!

"When you know nothing matters, the universe is yours" ~Rick Sanchez

RE: HTTPS, huh, yeah, what is it good for?

Posted Aug 19, 2014 1:50 pm
Fattywel Posted on: 08/19/2014 9:34am
Stalin15 Posted on: 08/19/2014 9:13am

I don't really understand though, how is this going to keep my ass protected?


That way, less russians will try to hack you. Oh wait, are you the real Stalin ?


I thought Russians used Google like they drink vodka for breakfast. Actually it's the opposite, TIM says "higher rankings = more users" so...

Hating the Soviet Union since 1924.

RE: HTTPS, huh, yeah, what is it good for?

Posted Aug 19, 2014 8:15 pm
Stalin15 Posted on: 08/19/2014 9:13am

I don't really understand though, how is this going to keep my ass protected?


HTTPS is encrypted.  I've been using it when you login, but after that shit was unprotected due to assclown avatars, game images, and the chat.  I'm now saving the game images in 3 sizes to the server, I'm preventing use of non-https avatars, and I've upgraded the chat to run under HTTPS.

For more info, use google.  Here's the first link for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Secure


Everything's coming up KongHack!

"When you know nothing matters, the universe is yours" ~Rick Sanchez

This topic is locked.